Sunday, August 30, 2009

From agnosticism to believing...


Aug 23 was a Sunday and being at home this year, I chose to venture out of Delhi. Giving no special attention to my agnostic beliefs about God, I decided Mathura - the birthplace of Lord Krishna.

The selection of this holy city has a strange connection to one hindi movie that got me transfixed; 'Awarapan'. Never before have I liked any girl in cinema as much as the character 'Aaliya' in this movie. She hypnotized me with her divine thoughts and especially the extent to which she could refine the integral part of the protagonist. Here's Aaliya radiating heavenly innocence...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpdfFim-VMY (beautiful video, awesome movie). On God, "Chaahe tum usey jis terah, jis shakal me maano... par maano zaroor." Sometimes, these small and trivial things charm one's heart and soul in a manner that influences one's way of living. Sure, she had some effect on me too so much so that for the first time I visited a holy shrine not out of fun but devotion.

The very moment I landed on 'Krishna Janambhoomi" I met with a small accident giving me a minor cut on my head. It bled a few drops and then stopped. I must have been in King Kansa's army ages ago and so cursed. huh! After paying for my sins I visited Banke Bihari and Radha Vallabh temples in Vrindavan. It surprised me when anyone I talked to greeted me with a "Radhe Radhe". The inhabitant's devotion towards Radha, Krishna's supreme beloved, is huge and this impressed me. Upon returning to Krishna's Janambhoomi I happened to pass through one room in a temple with three priests, each one with a different musical instrument, practicing pious readings. Completely mesmerised by the holy prayer "Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare.... Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare", I felt free from deep inside as if relieved of all pain. It sounds silly but the entire atmosphere was sanctified and I felt blessed. What followed this was one great experience.

The religious practice of 'parikrama' of Govardhan hill is considered as a form of prayer. One has to circumambulate Govardhan as part of this ritual. This stretch if of 24 miles and there are many theories on how to do this parikrama. Some simply walk barefoot, some offer 108 obeisances at one spot before moving to the next, while some move in cars. It's one's 'shraddha' how one wants to do it. I walked barefoot with a backpack. It was something I had never done before so I was slow and albeit it doesn't matter but I was overtaken by hundreds of other pilgrims during the course only to later know many were on drugs or local 'bhaangs'. I was happy I was doing it with right intentions and with a clean heart and mind. I hate to admit this but truth be told, I did feel some angelic presence lifting up my spirits every time I found myself stranded in dark. Honestly, the stormy weather towards the end disquieted me for minutes but also provided a scintillating finish to the 'parikrama'. I could only smile as I unloaded my knapsack to ease my back. The blood blisters on my foot kept my legs out of any movement for the next two days abandoning the trip to Barsana - Radha's birthplace. Hopefully, I would see Barsana in Jan'2010.

Did I see God? Did I feel God?
Well, I have never been into religious stuff. I vividly remember how I, once in past, visited the "Tirupati Balaji" making mockery of God all the way. Then, it was to experience the fun of the journey and had nothing to do with God. Today, at least, I acknowledge God. To be honest, I think I am still transitioning from being an agnostic to being God-loving but certainly not God-fearing. And, there are events that have led to this.

There are special moments in our lives worthy of pure respect.

1 comment:

Vidushi's quilling said...

its like each and every word is directly from your heart.